Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Courage- Cycling

Our assignment for Humanities was to write a blog post for when we showed courage. I was basically clueless on what to do until I remembered what had happened at my friend's house.At that time, I hadn't  riden a bike since second grade and I had a fear of falling down and hurting myself. It was also kind of lame because I was in 5th grade, so this is my courage story.

     I was just chilling, watching T.V at the Webb's house, when Amelia said, "Do you want go ride our bikes?"  My mind was panicking. I haven't gone riding for a LONG time! It made me feel terrified, but, I always could try something new? I put on a happy face, but I wasn't too sure that the scared face was completely hidden. "Sure." I said, reassuring myself, that I could do it. Then Adeline  shouted, "That a great idea!"  She ran to her mom (and their dog Petunia did too) and told her we were going down to the basement to go cycling around the condo. We went down with their dad, but I had mixed feelings at the time. Then we arrived to the basement, it was very familiar because I had lived in that same condo for 3 years (and some more) but I had moved to another place right after they moved in. We skipped to the bikes, waving goodbye to their dad as he went up. But there was a problem. The tires were flat.


"Aw, man!" Adeline and Amelia groaned together. I tried not to giggle because I could feel they would attack me after. Thank goodness we brought the pump just in case. We tried to put the put the pump into the small hole and pump the air in, but we weren't successful. After a few more times, Amelia got fed up and said, " I'm going upstairs to get our dad. I bet he knows how to it." Adeline smirked. I was dazed at one point and then slowly figured it out. Sibiling rivalry. As Adeline and I did it over and over again, praying that this time, it would work. I thought handling it a different way. I said, "Hey Adeline, why don't you stick the pump into the hole and I press the tire?" We tried it. It felt like it was the moment of truth and...... It worked! We heard the elevator ring and saw Amelia emerge out of the elevator. We (Adeline and I) screamed, " WE MADE IT WORK! THE TIRE IS PUMPED!" and we all screamed in excitement. But now, we were riding. Now, it was the moment of truth.


There were three bikes, Adeline's, Amelia's and their little brother's, Jon. Since I was taller, I couldn't possibly fit into an 8 year old's bike so Amelia generously took Jon's bike. I took Adeline's bike  and Adeline took Amelia's bike. I already knew where to go, so I didn't need any help with the directions but the problem really was the riding. We all took off, but I wobbled and they  zoomed in front of me. Now I felt scared, weary of my surroundings, and a little bit surprised. I actually was better than I expected. But I spoke too soon. As soon I saw the turn, I lost my sense of balance, but I at least didn't crash. The twins slowed down, waiting for me to catch up. I stood up, straightened my shirt. There was a rush of adrenaline through veins, I was feeling like I woke up, being fresh, energized and also feeling like nothing could bring me down. I climbed onto the bike and suddenly no one could touch me! I pedaled harder and harder but then glided. I did the same again but standing up, the thing I missed most about riding bicycles. It felt like I was free of every little small thing. I now, and always will, be able to ride a bicycle.



Sources:
http://wearestjohns.com/bicycle-shop-online.html
Adeline and Amelia Webb, for sharing this experience

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you did a really good job at writing this it is so detailed! You are so brave to ride that bike I would have said no and been so terrified. i really enjoyed reading your'e blog is better than anyone I have read before great job! You have obviously put a lot of effort into writing this blog and I appreciate your'e hard work. Just to say I thought that picture was really cool and your'e design of your'e whole blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so surprised when I saw your writing. Because most of the people don't use voices... BUT YOU DID!!! Some errors are included but love how you capitalized the part where you said something really surprising. I really enjoyed it and next time, to make it better you can try to have more interesting words. But actually you have lots of interesting words but it would be better if you write some more because then the other blog viewers will learn new words.

    ReplyDelete