Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What Would I Be?

There is a choice, if you want to be a geographer, archaeologist, or a historian. Since geography to me is not so interesting (no offence to people that like geography) there is a tight decision for me to make. Archaeologist or historian. I LOVE to watch crime shows like CSI, Bones and NCIS but… I also love to read all about history, like the Aztecs, Mayans, Romans, especially Greeks and other ancient civilizations. Should I read about the Aztecs’ chocolate or the look for Egyptian artifacts? I guess I’ll go with historian. The reason I chose historian over archaeologist is because reading history is a little bit more interesting for me than digging around in the dirt and getting dirty (I like to stay clean) but I have to admit, it is cool finding pottery, imagining that people made it in that same place where you are now, but only thousands of years ago.

When I think of a historian, I realize the job has many different jobs inside it, for you to keep up with. One of those jobs is a teacher. They teach others the principals of history, all their knowledge, being transferred to younger minds. There is a time when student becomes teacher and teacher becomes student. If you start late on learning the facts of history, you’ll get old. Did you know it takes 12 years to become a historian? Long time, right? Well I don’t really care that it will take time, even though the saying “Time is valuable” is right, it relates to knowledge, and knowledge is valuable too so we aren’t just throwing out our time, we are spending it wisely. “If you want something bad, you’ll risk all your time for it, if it doesn’t happen, don’t give up, just try again” (said by Radhika Sharma :D). Sometimes, a historian becomes a teacher and sometimes, a teacher becomes a historian. But they are both the same, you both have something to teach to other people who don’t know such things that they do.

Another job is a traveller. Books are magical, you can travel back in time, without a time machine. You can go to exotic countries, without leaving the room. I love it that the thing I enjoy, reading, is all you have to do to get success in this job. Travelling all around the world with only a bookmark in your hand, that’s what keeps me interested in history, you also never know what’s going to happen next, though you can predict, just like a story. To take along with you, is a wide imagination “Just close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.” (From the book “Bridge to Terabithia” By Katherine Paterson). I have crazy prediction. If I read, I feel like nothing can harm me. I just think about the conflict in the book, not a conflict anywhere else. I think I am safe. That’s how I feel. But, when I go back into reality, I know that’s never going to happen, it might, rarely. My crazy prediction (more like a guess) is that if you have the same idea in my head and read too long, then you’ll slowly turn deranged and never let anyone else in, sorry,I may be getting ahead of myself, but rest assure,that is only a prediction.

Clearly, since I really enjoy reading and the manuscripts , text books and old diaries fascinate me, so being a historian is the right job for me.




Sources:
WikiAnswers.com
inn.us
imnd.com
http://kemetichistoryofafrikabluelotus.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment